Veggie Bean Kale Soup is nutritious and protein packed with a hint of spice! Of course, this soup is vegetarian-friendly! However, the recipe can easily be vegan-friendly by omitting the heavy cream or by using a plant-based cream.
With the new year upon us and after all of the holiday sweets and rich foods, this soup is right up my alley! With fresh green kale, carrots, celery, red potatoes, and cannellini beans this soup supplies plenty of nutrients. A small amount of heavy cream goes a long way by providing a nice creaminess without making the soup too heavy. The crushed red pepper takes it to the next level of absolute deliciousness!
A generous amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese does not hurt either!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, chopped into half moons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 medium red potatoes, diced (leave the skins on for more nutrition)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 15 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch kale, deveined & chopped
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- ½ t red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onions are softened. Add the garlic and continue to cook and stir for 1 more minute.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the red potatoes, vegetable broth, water, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and allow to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the beans, kale, and heavy cream. Stir frequently until the kale has wilted. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with a generous helping of freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.
Recipe Source: The Curvy Carrot