Soup is comfort food for me. There is something about a bowl of soup that gives me that warm and cozy feeling. Soup season is year-round in our house, so this is a perfect time to share one of the most cozy and creamy tomato soups, Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup.
This soup does require some chopping and some extra work over the stove, but it is totally worth it. This soup makes great leftovers, so the extra work put in will deliver on a cook free second day!
I made Simply Amazing Grilled Cheese with this soup, but just a side of some warm crusty french bread with butter will be delicious too!
This Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup is comfort food in a bowl!
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 T dried basil
- 1½ t salt, or to taste
- ¼ t black pepper
- 1 28-oz cans petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 cups half and half, warmed (to prevent curdling)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onions, and celery. Stir frequently for approximately 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir frequently for 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes with juice, vegetable broth, and the bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Lower heat to medium and continue to simmer for approximately 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, make the roux. In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, slowly add the flour, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix the flour with a whisk. Continue to whisk the butter & flour mixture for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and golden in color.
- Slowly add 3 cups of the soup mixture into the skillet with the prepared roux. Immediately stir the mixture with the whisk. Once the mixture has thickened you will add the roux & soup mixture into the pot of soup and stir to incorporate. The soup will slowly start to thicken.
- Add parmesan cheese to the soup and stir to mix in and melt. Add the warmed half and half and stir. Add more salt & pepper if desired.
- Allow to soup to cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve & enjoy with extra grated parmesan cheese on top.