This Slow Cooker Taco Lentil Soup is the perfect soup for the cool autumn nights that are now upon us! A vegetarian hearty soup filled with protein and amazing mixture of spices! By the way, this soup is vegan-friendly when using plant-based toppings.
The soup alone is full of spices and flavor! However, the toppings take this soup over the top!
Of course, my photo assistant, Ranger, had to check out the set! Don’t worry, Ranger does not eat people food, but he still wants to take a peek!
FYI: This soup is FREEZER FRIENDLY!!!
Just one more photo of Ranger inspecting this yummy and colorful bowl of deliciousness!!
(Cats are not as close as they appear in the photo!)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced (leave some seeds in for more heat)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t dried oregano
- ½ t smoked paprika
- ¼ t onion powder
- ½ t cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 t Kosher salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Chopped Cilantro, Tortilla Chips, Sliced Jalapenos, Sour Cream, etc.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño. Sauté the mixture, stirring often, for around 5 minutes or just until onions begin to brown. Add the garlic and continue to saute and stir for 30 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in the lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, black beans, and all of the spices.
- Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, stir in the corn.
- Serve the soup with your favorite toppings!
Recipe Source: Ambitious Kitchen