It is officially the week before Thanksgiving and I am in planning mode. This Mashed Potato Casserole is a creative way to change up the regular mashed potato side dish. Mashed potatoes with cream cheese, sour cream, butter, cheese and topped with even more cheese!
Being a vegetarian, I try to find creative ways to flavor up recipes. This Mashed Potato Casserole does not disappoint. Meat eaters can easily add some chopped bacon for some extra something, but I think the flavors are perfect as is.
This Mashed Potato Casserole fills a 9×13 baking dish. This is meant to be a rich and flavorful side dish. Before you consider holding back on the butter, cream cheese, sour cream, well … you get the idea. This recipe uses 5 pounds of potatoes, so there are plenty of flavors required needed to make each bite full of cheesy potato deliciousness!
The delicious smell intrigued Ranger to check out the set again. Ranger loves the smells of butter and cheese! I too, love the smells of butter and cheese, so I cannot fault Ranger for checking it out!
Don’t worry. Ranger can look, but he does not touch nor eat the delicious looking human-only recipes!
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 8 oz room temperature cream cheese, cubed
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ t garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- sliced green onions
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the peeled & cubed potatoes to a large pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil. (I add some salt to the water once it starts to boil to bring out the flavor of the potatoes.) Reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer for 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the water and mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese & the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Place the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the cheese on top has melted.
- Garnish with the green onions.
Recipe Souce: lilluna.com