Baked Pesto & Penne is full of flavor and loaded with cheese! A delicious dish with 5 simple ingredients!
I recently shared a recipe for Classic Basil Pesto and it makes the perfect amount for this dish. However, you can certainly use your favorite store-bought pesto!
I recommend quartered fresh grape tomatoes, but diced canned tomatoes will work if you are short on time!
The pesto has sharp parmesan cheese, but the delicate and creamy mozzarella cheese adds so much cheesy gooey goodness!
I enjoy this as a main dish since, but my husband enjoys this as a side dish with a protein. You can round out this recipe by adding canned chickpeas or perhaps some chopped cooked chicken.
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup Classic Basil Pesto (or your favorite store-bought basil pesto)
- 1-pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta according to packaged directions. Once cooked, drain the water and allow the pasta to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta, pesto, quartered tomatoes, and 1½ cups mozzarella cheese to the prepared baking dish. Stir to incorporate and fully combine. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover the dish with foil (spray nonstick spray on the side of the foil that will be over the cheese topping to avoid the foil from sticking).
- Bake covered for 25 minutes or until the dish is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Uncover and cook for 5 additional minutes or until the top is bubbly.